I have learned that my host mother is 48. She has a son, 24, who is a pilot, and a daughter, 22, who is a student. I have read about Ecuador here and there, and gleaned the following geography trivia from its page in the CIA World Factbook:
- The area of the country is about the size of Nevada
- Columbia and Peru border Ecuador
- Coastal plain, inter-Andean central highland and eastern jungle make up the country’s terrain
- The Galápagos Islands (where Darwin studied finches) belong to Ecuador
- The highest active volcano in the world, Cotopaxi, is 28 miles south of Quito in the Andes
Soon I will give a firsthand account of Ecuadorian geography. My next post should be in-country. Ciao!